Wanna hear some dirty words I learned this month?
Phthalates, Perchloroethylene, Triclosan, Quarternary Ammonium
Not what you were expecting?
I’ve always been interested in tossing the “dirty” items I own. And it wasn’t until after my son was born that I really started thinking about the items I put on & in both of our bodies. With cancer rates on the rise, along with allergies & other autoimmune issues, I just have to believe that our household products are partially to blame.
I downloaded the app, Think Dirty, where you can scan your products & get a scale rating (0-10) to see how horribly unhealthy they are. It also includes a detailed list of the ingredients & a breakdown of why it’s bad/good for you. I scanned a few things to share with you:
- Dove Sensitive Skin Baby Wash, Dirty Rating: 10
- Johnson&Johnson Baby Shampp, Dirty Rating: 9
- Clean&Clear Foaming Facial Cleanser, Dirty Rating: 10
- Dawn Dishsoap, Dirty Rating: 9
- Listerine Mouthwash, Dirty Rating: 8
- Colgate Toothpaste, Dirty Rating: 5
- Old Spice Body Wash, Dirty Rating: 10
- Pantene 2in1 Shampoo & Conditioner, Dirty Rating: 9
- Sinful Colors Nail Polish: 9
- Covergirl Lash Blast Mascara: 9
“My Bathroom Shelf” was rated at a 10. That is the highest rating you can possibly get.
Here are some of the common ingredients in my toxic products…
- Quaternium-15: A chemical preservative used in hair conditioners to make it feel smooth. It acts as a formaldehyde releaser. May trigger eczema, it’s a known carcinogen, and causes allergies.
- DMDM Hydantoin: Preservative found in many cosmetics & soaps. Also is a formaldehyde releaser, a known carcinogen (rated Group 1).
- Parfum/Fragrance: Hormone disrupter. Allergies.
- Poloxamer 407: Organ system toxicity. A copolymer to dissolve oil in water.
I’ve decided to start replacing the toxic items (rated as a 7 or higher). My goal is to have a 0 toxicity rating but I’m taking small steps. Here are some of the items I am replacing:
- Dr. Bronner Castile Soap, Dirty Rating: 0
- Crystal Essence Deodorant, Dirty Rating: 3
- ECOS Laundry Detergent, Dirty Rating: 5
The cost wasn’t too much of a difference. I’ll continue on this journey & update you on the alternative products I find.